Aims and Objectives
The aims and objectives of IAIA are as follows:
• To raise awareness of the importance of healthy, secure attachment. This will include the dissemination of information to professional and to parents/caregivers. The primary message in this information will be an understanding of why attachment matters for individuals, families and society, as well as the factors that encourage and impede healthy attachment.
• To advocate for knowledge of attachment theory and practice to become a fundamental element in the education of all relevant professionals. This will include professionals in health, mental health, and social care service, as well as educational professionals including primary and secondary school teachers.
• To engage with a range of carers, educators and health and social care professionals in a way that supports their role in relation to understanding and applying attachment informed thinking and decision making in their clinical and educational practice.
• To assist in the advancement of effective attachment-informed practice through the development, support and dissemination of robust research, professional training and CPD, seminars and conferences.
• To act as a central point of contact for professionals who are trained and are working in using attachment-related approaches, so as to facilitate sharing of knowledge and expertise.
• To deliver a minimum of two annual events focused on promoting attachment.
• To advocate for the allocation of research funding to support the development of interventions that can be tailored to particular needs of individuals and groups within society, across the whole island of Ireland.
• To work with the Northern Ireland Assembly and the Government of the Republic of Ireland to encourage the consideration of cross-departmental policies and initiatives to promote healthy attachments.